Justice Honorable Uz Ali Hameed Mohamed
(Justice of the Supreme Court of Maldives since 10th August 2010)
Honorable Justice Ali Hameed Mohamed was born in S. Hulhudoo, Republic of Maldives, on 25 September 1964.
He speaks English, Urdu and Arab fluently.
Justice Hameed, who is also a licensed attorney, graduated in 1991 and was awarded Bachelor of Shari’ah and Qadhaa (Shari’ah and Law) degree from Ummul-Qura University,Mecca, Saudi Arabia. In addition to this he has been awarded a fellowship from the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute, Canada.
Honorable Justice Hameed started his judicial career in 1993 at the Ministry of Justice, Male’ where he served as a sitting judge at courts 1, 2 and 4.
In 1996, Justice Hameed was elevated as a Justice at the High Court of the Republic of Maldives.
In 2010, Honorable Justice Hameed was elevated to the Supreme Court of Maldives where he currently serves the nation.
In addition to his professional duties as a sitting judge, Honorable Justice Hameed has served in a number of committees and commissions related to justice and rule of law. During his long career he has served as a judicial member of the Law Review Committee of the President’s Office, the National Parole board, the Law Commission of Maldives and the Attorney General’s office. He has also been a member of the Judicial Service Commission.
Honorable Justice Hameed has participated in numerous conferences and seminars. These include:
- Commonwealth Magistrates and Judges Conference 2011 held in Malaysia.
- Conference on Harmonizing International Human Rights Instruments with Shari’ah principles, Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute of Canada 2010 held in Malaysia.
- Workshop on International Human Rights Conventions held in Male’ by UNDP.
- International Council of Jurists visit 2010 held in China.
- Judicial Trainers’ training Workshop 2009 held in Canada with collaboration of Dalhousie University Law School, Canada and the Commonwealth Judicial Education Institute.
- Conference on Independence of Judiciary in Islamic Shari’ah 2007 held in Tehran, Iran.
- SAARC Law Conference 2006 held in Bhutan.
- Participated in the Asia Pacific Judicial Reform Conference 2005, Manila, Philippines on behalf of the Chief Justice of Maldives.
- Conference on Intellectual Property Rights and Piracy 2004, held for High Court Judges in Bhopal, India.
Honorable Justice Hameed strongly believes in the Rule of Law and equal justice for all and he is also a strong advocator of responsible judicial activism in situations where it is needed.