Justice Honorable Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi
(Justice of the Supreme Court of the Maldives since 10th August 2010)
Born in S. Hithadhoo, Republic of the Maldives on 1st October 1966, Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi pursued higher studies at Faculty of Shari’a and Law, Al Azhar University, Cairo where he earned the following academic achievements;
- PhD in Public International Law with first class honor (Summa Cum Laude) (2008).
- Master of Laws in Constitutional Law with Excellent (2000).
- Post Graduate Studies in Public Law (1995).
- License (Bachelor's Honors degree) in Shari’a and Law (1993).
Being legally qualified as an Attorney -at- Law in 1996, Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi exercised his legal profession as a consultant in the Maldives and Egypt.
Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi served as the Counsel General of the People’s Assembly (Parliament) of the Maldives in 2010 as well as the Deputy Attorney General of the Maldives in 2008.
As an academician Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi taught Public International Law, Constitutional Law, Administrative Law, Islamic Constitutional Law and Islamic Criminal Law, at Faculty of Shari’a and Law, Male’, and College of Islamic Studies, Male. He is also a member of the Egyptian Society of International Law, and Maldivian Islamic Fiqh Academy.
As a specialist in Public Law, Dr. Ahmed Abdulla Didi wrote on diverse subjects in Comparative Public Law, including:
- Termination of International Treaties in Islamic Jurisprudence and Public International Law, Doctoral Thesis, Faculty of Sharia’ & Law, Al-Azhar University, Cairo, 2008. (under publication).
- The Legislature in the Maldives in comparison with Islamic Political System and Contemporary Political Systems, Master’s thesis, Faculty of Sharia’ & Law, Al-Azhar University, Cairo, 2000. (published in 2002).
- Conclusion of International treaties, an article published at Maldivian Students Association (MSA) , Cairo, 1995.
- Abortion in Criminal Law and Islamic Law, an article published at MSA, Cairo, 1995.
- Change of Circumstances as a Ground for Termination of International Treaties in Islamic Fiqh and Public International Law. (An article under publication).
Justice Dr. Ahmed Abdulla participated in various conferences and seminars, including;
- World Congress on Justice Governance and Law for Environmental Sustainability (2012) held in Rio de Jeneiro.
- 23rd Law Asia Conference (2010) held in New Delhi.
- Convention on the Rights of the Child (CRC) optional protocol reporting, 50th Session of the CRC, (2009) held in Geneva.